Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We are done!!!

So everything that needs to be done for the adoption here in Ukraine is DONE! We went back to the embassy for our second appointment today and got all our paperwork to hand over to the immigration people once we get into the states. If we had flight tickets out for tomorrow we could fly home tomorrow but ALAS our tickets are for Friday. So tomorrow we are going to go sightseeing and shopping for souvenirs.
We have had a bit of an "issue" with stealing and lying about it today. We have dealt with this before, during hosting the first time, and I know we are, in essence, starting over again. I think I did a really good job of handling the situation today when I discovered it (parenting pat on my back please) by letting it know him very clearly that it is NOT okay but after a tough "talking-to" I made sure to also let him know that I still love him very much. He cried and seemed very remorseful and apologized a couple of times. I have to remind myself that it is not personal and he is merely resorting to a behavior that was second nature to him over the last five years of his life. But I will have to be more vigilant about checking his pockets regularly, which I really don't want to have to do but it is a necessary evil until we get this straightened out. He is an amazing kid with a huge capacity for love and it is sad that because of the circumstances of his life that this behavior (stealing) had to develop in order for him to survive in the orphanage.
I am excited about our day of shopping and sightseeing tomorrow but even more excited about the day after tomorrow when I get to see Keith and Jackson again. This past weeks without seeing Jackson has seemed like an eternity. I love him dearly and can't wait to give him a BIG hug... and hold on for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment