Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sleep deprived already...

So after all the excitement yesterday I finally got Joseph to agree to go to sleep a little after 11. He had said that he wanted to sleep on the couch (this is a small one bedroom apartment). So I tucked him in and headed to bed ready to PASS OUT with exhaustion and within 5 minutes, in he comes saying "Mom, me sleep bed". So I said okay and scooted over for him to sleep in the bed with me. We fell asleep quickly but I was awoken suddenly at 1am by a switch smack in the chest! Apparently Joseph moves A LOT in his sleep so over the next hour as I was trying to go back to sleep I was relegated to about a one foot wide section of the bed on the very edge due to flying arms and kicking legs. I finally fell back asleep and was awoken to Joseph doing who knows what in the kitchen at 6am. When he is excited he wakes up early like a kid on Christmas. So I got up too, powered up the laptop, and turned on some Tom and Jerry and was able to get about 30 minutes more of sleep. Finally, about 7:15am, he had had enough Tom and Jerry and wanted to go walking to by 7:30 am we were out the door to wander the streets and markets (the few booths that were open) of Luhansk, Ukraine. He was upset that so many things were still closed, I told him that he should have slept more then.  But it was not a completely unsuccessful outing because we did find a vendor set up in the open air market that had drinks and hotdogs. So at 8am, for breakfast, Joseph had a hotdog with slaw and a coke. I wish I had found this vendor sooner, there were many days I craved something American like a good ole slaw dog! Although, at 8am I wasn't as in the mood as Joseph was. So after getting lost in the endless open air market and seeing bunnies, birds, fishing and hunting equipment, and lots of cell phones (for which I had to repeatedly explain that a Ukraine cell phone will not work in America, we have to buy a cell phone in America for it to work in America - I think he thinks I am making that up to get out of buying him a cell phone yet!) we found our way out and returned to our apartment at 8:45am. Sergei is not picking us up until 10:15 to go back to Joseph's school for one last party/goodbye. Now he is killing time between watching some Russian cartoons on TV, listening to his MP3 player with his new headphones, and turning the stereo on to listen to the radio and he keeps asking when is Sergei going to be here. Its gonna be a long day... BUT I wouldn't trade it for the world... to finally have my son Joseph with me... I just might need a nap after I am done "not trading it for the world".   :)

5 comments:

  1. Maks's cell phone DID work here--- until he lost it! I was amazed because he had people texting him- I am not sure how much it cost to send a text but we had put 40 greevna on it and he still had a couple left when he lost it. The phones are pretty cool over there and i was just going to buy a prepaid sim card to put in it over here.... oh well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, most phones should work here. It is the other way that doesn't work so well. Of course you have to by American chargers, get a new SIM, etc... it probably isn't worth it. We are definitely going pre-paid with our older kids.

    Question on the hot dog.. was it a real hot dog. The ones we had in Severodonetsk were more like spam shaped like a hot dog. We are used to thick all beef hotdogs... but those were even way softer than cheap test tube dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, typical new mom sleep deprivation. Sort of ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian: It was a REAL hot dog. We went back and had another one for lunch! It was big, like almost the size of a bratwurst and it tasted like an all beef American hot dog. We had slaw on it and mayo and ketchup. So good! Made me realize how much I miss simple American food. People who have never been in Ukraine for over a month can not relate to the fact the we are actually having a back and forth about hot dogs. The food is not bad per se here but "it ain't home!".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss you friend. Can't wait to hang out over Spring Break....love ya BFF

    ReplyDelete