Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Almost there...

So as I am beginning to think about leaving Luhansk (either next Monday or Tuesday) I am thinking about the things that have made Luhansk, Ukraine unique:
1) STRAY /HOMELESS DOGS: The first few days we were here Keith asked our translator Sergei "What kind of wildlife do you have here?" and his answer was "dogs and cats". That is definitely true. On my ride home from the orphanage today (about 30 minutes) I counted 24 stray dogs! This is definitely not a place my Aunt Shirlean could call home, because she would have brought home all 24 dogs today. And that count of 24 is not including the litter of 5 puppies we usually see at on e of the bus stops. They were not there today.
2) YELLOW LIGHTS: Yes, I know we have yellow lights in America but only before the light turns red. Here they have a yellow light before it turns green! I guess there are a lot of impatient Ukrainians so they have this light to let you know you have almost made it to a green light.
3) POT HOLES: The sheer abundance of pot holes and dips in the road here is painful. It is painful because either we are driving through them so there is a lot of bouncing or we are driving around them so there is a lot of swerving. I am always physically tired after the drive to and from the orphanage.
4) LACK OF LANES: Very few roads here have lines on them. So you never know where the lanes are. Essentially, I have figured out, the rule of thumb is if you can pass a car/bus then you do pass the car/bus. And deciding whether or not  you can pass is determined by swinging out to the left of the car to look past it and if you think you can make it around it before the oncoming traffic gets to you then you go for it! And a road can fit as many cars wide as you make it.
5) NO KNICK-KNACKS: Maybe this is because Luhansk, Ukraine is not a big tourist destination but I can't seem to find ANYTHING to buy as a souvenir unless I would like a souvenir to be a pair of trendy boots, a fur coat, low rise jeans, a knock off purse, a hat, high-end jewelry, or flowers. All of those things are in abundance here but where's an I LOVE UKRAINE shirt when you need it?!?!  I have been assured that when we get to Kiev we will have an opportunity to do some tourist shopping.
6) VLADIK JOSEPH: He is also something unique I have found in Ukraine. He is an amazing kid and I am so happy to be able to call him son and in 3 (hopefully but maybe 5) days I will be able to "spring" him from the orphanage!

***We had a great visit today and he really helped by translating with some of the kids today. There are quite a few kids at the orphanage who are in the process of being adopted by an American family so Vladik helped me talk with them today about getting letters from them for us to take back home to their soon-to-be parents in America. I am hopefully getting letters from: Vlad (blond hair, grade 5), Ruslan and Roman (brown hair, twins, grade 5), and Kolya (tall, light brown hair, captivating green eyes, grade 5). Also, especially for Maks' mom Kelly, I will have a letter from Toilik for you. When he heard Vladik asking the other kids for letters he asked if he could send one back for Maks' mom. Seems you left quite the impression Kelly!
For the Macys: We saw Snezhana for a second today and then she went back into a classroom. Vladik remembered that her brother had been adopted in America! So he his going to help me ask her for her phone number. I told him that Dennis and her America Mom and Pop really want to talk to her so we will make sure we track her down over the next day or two and get you her number!

2 comments:

  1. Make sure you hit the open air market by the SDA in Kyiv. Kelly and I dropped a little too much money there, but GREAT stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie... S is welcome to write a letter for you to take back too :)

    ReplyDelete